Thursday, August 2, 2012

Shades of the NICU

Kiya's surgery for Monday has been postponed.  A week ago I sent her Craniofacial surgeon an email to clarify some questions I had.  He responded with a phone call that has caused confusion.  Originally the neurosurgeon and craniofacial surgeon instilled a sense of urgency in Matt and I that made us want to act quickly and have the cranial distraction procedure done.  When I spoke to her doctor a couple of days ago he said that we could wait 6 months and see what her head was doing (not at all what we discussed originally).  Kiyas neurosurgeon is out of town until Monday and we feel that he knows her best.  I am arranging a care conference between both doctors to figure out what really needs to be done.  This reminds me so much of our experience in the NICU where one doctor will tell you ten different things and I am left trying to sift through it all.  I spent the day yesterday at her pediatrician getting her head circumference measured, tracking growth and going through scans.  Her pediatrician was nice enough to call the surgeon and try to make sense of all this.  As for now I am going to postpone the surgery until I feel 100% confident that it is a must for Kiya to avoid future, more extensive procedures.

AHHHHHHHHHHH!

1 comment:

  1. I admire your tenacity. You arrange a 'care conference' and take the initiative to ensure you do what's best for Kiya, getting all mother bear on everyone to protect your baby cub. Seriously, what a great example of parenting you are.

    ReplyDelete