Thursday, July 4, 2013

Healing The World One Step At A Time

Today we took the kids to Lowes for supplies and so Kiya could use her walker in the store.  She loves to walk in the store because it is a smooth surface and relief from the intense heat we have been having.  Lex and Mason are the worlds sweetest brothers and let her try to "squish them" with her walker.  They don't complain about having to walk slow and it doesn't occur to them that we are "different."  Kiya also likes all the people in the stores.  She will not be ignored and says "hi" to everyone she sees.  People really seem to gravitate to her.  Even if they don't say anything I know she made an impression.
As we were leaving the store today I noticed a man staring at Kiya.  I have learned that people generally mean well so I told Kiya to say hi.  The man came over and started asking me about Kiya.  As I told him a little about her tears swelled up in his eyes.  He was so touched by my angel and how amazing she is.  He proceeded to hug and kiss her and it was obvious that he was very moved by this little girl with a lifetime of experience.  I was so grateful for this experience.  Today was a glimpse into the effect Kiya will have on other people and the world.  She can melt barriers with a smile.  She can heal hatred, envy and self pity with her attitude.  I have met so many strangers that I wouldn't take the time to talk to her if it weren't for Kiya and they instantly connect with our family.  I am so grateful for this amazing spirit who teaches me eternal lessons everyday.  For all the heartache and worry that comes with this situation it was so nice to have such an amazing moment to cherish.  I am so grateful that this sweet man took the time to talk to us and step out of his comfort zone.  His kindness allowed me to see a future filled with amazing moments and without fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment