Tuesday, March 29, 2011

When Your Smiling



Kiya has started to smile. It is so fun to see her little face light up. She wakes up so happy in the morning and gives us a big grin. Monday we had a surgery consultation. It looks like we are going to have to have yet another surgery. This time she will have a gastrostomy tube placed in her stomach so that we can feed her directly and bi-pass the throat area. It is a more permanent solution for slow feeders, although it can be removed when she is eating orally. The surgery will last about an hour and we will spend a couple of days at Primary Children's hospital. Part of that time will be spent training me on the new system. It has several different components than the NG tube that she has now. I am a nervous! I am not excited to be spending more time in the hospital. I am really sad to have her inti bated again. She absolutely hates that tube down her throat! Hopefully she can be breathing on her own again shortly after the surgery. The doctors want us to do a nissen which is where they wrap the stomach around the esophogus. Matt and I have decided to only do the g-tube as we don't want to change her anatomy unless its completely necessary. Please keep praying!

3 comments:

  1. I can not believe how big Kiya is getting. I love all the hair she has. She is soooo cute.
    Hope all goes well with the surgery, we will keep our fingers crossed and keep you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little Kiya is so pretty in pink. Again, I am in love with her smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these darling smiling pics. I feel uplifted every time I get on this blog and see your sweet princess. It seems she is more than willing to endure these difficulties, even with a smile on her face. What a great example she is to us! I am sad that she will be having another surgery, but it sounds like it is very necessary to progress in eating. Glad you made it through the long follow-up appt. Sounds like a marathon!

    ReplyDelete